Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Key Issues - Part 2 (Passion)

First, some Biblical words, retranslated and out of context:
I wish you were either hot or cold. Lukewarm makes me vomit.

I think I've said this in a couple different contexts already, but if any of us find ourselves responding to any part of this discernment process with some form of "OK, that's nice," then it's definitely time for a check-up.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit and into the content of the next post on "ownership," but I remember wrestling through some vision issues a few years ago and being struck by the strong difference between ownership and agreement. I think the difference is passion.

The kind of things we're talking about in terms of our vision for ministry and our long range plan is heart-level, gut-level stuff. How does the God of heaven and earth plan to use our lives for the salvation of His broken world? If we can answer that question with cool detachment, then we haven't wrestled with it hard enough it yet.

What I really hope is that our whole congregation will grab hold of our clarified vision and say, "Yes, count me in. I want a piece of the action. I want to pour out my life for God's call, and I won't settle for anything less." But I'd rather hear someone say, "No way! Count me out! I'll never climb that hill with you," than hear someone say, "OK, that's nice. I guess I can accept that."

No comments: