Friday, August 1, 2008

Global Hoops


I don't think I'll ever stop loving the game of basketball, even if the safety of my oft-injured ankles prevents me from playing much anymore. Two interesting roundball stories are current today: first a link describing the U.S. Men's Olympic team's dismantling of Lithuania and then some interesting speculation about the possibility (is that even too strong a word?) of LeBron James playing in Europe after next season.

The Olympic team holds special interest for me because they are being lead by Coach K of my beloved Duke Blue Devils, and because I'm one of the many American basketball fans ashamed of what (UNC product!) Larry Brown did to our team in 2004.

The second story about LeBron intrigues me for a number of reasons. At one level, it's just another example of the globalization of everything. And, far fetched as it may seem, it makes just enough sense to plausible. Not only could the owners of one or more Euro teams throw incomprehensible amounts of money at LeBron, but this could also be a positive step for LeBron toward achieving his self-identified goal of becoming a "global icon."

(For a bunch of other USA basketball links, click here.)

No comments: